Saturday, March 22, 2014

Back to blogging

I have written several things that I haven't posted yet.  I guess I wanted them to be cleaner and more coherent, but according to me, that's not what this space is for.  This is for these random, quick, unpolished brainstorms.  These quick-writes.  I will post my grocery experience as soon as I find it.  I think I saved it on my other computer.  I do think that just sitting down and letting ideas flow out through your fingers is very valuable, and can be a pleasure rather than a chore.

I went to a conference today, and I talked with a children's book author.  I want to publish children's books that will be relevant to the East Austin Mexican-American population that I worked with during the past five years.  I have written two short stories that I think could be illustrated as children's books.  The author recommended that I submit them to publishers as manuscripts, that I not worry about finding an illustrator... but I feel that I could create something cheaper and more accessible if I don't go through the traditional publishers.  I saw presentations on books that students and teachers publish electronically on the Kindle and on paper through a software that Walmart provides (although that option was very expensive! Beautiful, though). 

I would love for y'all's (Writing 7's) Austin Food guides to be published for real.  I really do think that a lot of people are going to enjoy them!

You all are working on persuasive pieces, and I want to write one too.  I would like to publish something in the Austin American Statesman, or at least in the Daily Texan.  Hopefully some of your work will be published in a newspaper!  You all are really amazing writers, and I have confidence that if you submit some of your writing, you can get it published!

OK, I'm going to wrap up for now and write a recommendation letter for a former student. Still writing, but it has to be confidential; it can't be on the blog.  I celebrate you all's dedication to this project of strengthening your writing!  I am inspired by you and joining with you!


No comments:

Post a Comment