Sunday, March 9, 2014

Habesha Restaurant - Ethiopian Cuisine -- Warm, inviting, and offering delicious meals to share with friends and family!


Hola!  OK, I’m committed to writing 20 minutes every day this Spring Break.  I would also like to play my cello for 30 minutes every day.  Good goals, right? 

I was thinking I’d like to do a restaurant review as our writing 7 class did last week.  I learned about so many different restaurants that I had previously not heard of, and I’d like to share one that I discovered yesterday.

The restaurant was called Habesha.  To get there, drive north from UT on I-35, exit Airport and stay on the access road until you pass Texas Cattle Company.  Right past its bright red sign, you’ll see Habesha tucked behind it. 

The day my friends and I went there was gray and dreary, but as soon as we entered, we were struck by the delicious smells of spices and incense; warmth exuded from the people, the food, and the ambiance.  Deep red and orange-yellow table clothes and paintings complemented this feeling.

We sat at a large table; we saw others were sharing large (2 ft X 2 ft) platters of spongy ingera bread, on which they dipped spicy lentils, chick peas, salad, and other amazing sauces.   We ordered a six-dish vegetarian combination and an injera, cottage-cheese appetizer.  If you’ve never had Ethiopian food, you’ve got to try it!  The spices are completely unique; tangy, spicy but not too spicy, rich.  I love the tangy, fermented injera bread.  Yum!

The circle seating around one plate, and eating with our hands also gave a feeling of togetherness that really promoted good conversation.  We ended our meal after an hour and a half, and we were completely filled.  Be careful not to fill up too much, because the injera bread seems to expand inside of you!  Our meal was completed with dark, rich Ethiopian coffee in tiny cups.  We had ours black without sugar; it has a different flavor than any other that I’ve tasted.

I highly recommend visiting Habesha, or if you want to stay closer to campus.  Check out Asther’s, which is also wonderful, and is just at Dean Keaton and I-35.

No comments:

Post a Comment